January 17, 2022
News

Man treated in St Luke’s after Christmas Day fire breaks out at Langton’s Hotel and Nightclub

A MAN was treated at St Luke’s General Hospital after a fire broke out in Langton’s Hotel and Nightclub on Christmas morning.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen area of the iconic John Street venue at around 9am.

It was initially reported that no one was injured in the fire, but it subsequently emerged that a man was taken to St Luke’s by emergency services.

However, his injuries were not serious and he has since been released from the hospital.

A hospital staff member told KilkennyNow.ie: “The patient was assessed by a doctor and has since been discharged.”

It is understood the injured man was helping to prepare hundreds of Christmas dinners which were being made by chefs and hotel staff for older people living in the area – a tradition which has been built up over the years.

He managed to call the fire services as he attempted to put out the fire. Three fire units and ambulances were on the scene within minutes and quickly got the blaze under control.

It is understood no guests were staying in the hotel at the time.

Gardai and fire services remain at the scene and the premises and street have been cordoned off while the building is being secured and to allow for separate Garda, Fire Services and Health and Safety Authority (HSA) investigations to begin on how the blaze started.

The fire at the hugely popular Kilkenny venue is not believed to have been started maliciously.

 



Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *