New café hopes to serve up a slice of the past in historic building in county Kilkenny town
New plans it is hoped will breathe new life into a historic building in a county Kilkenny town which has been masquerading as a shop for close to half a century, have been put to the council planners.
A planning application has been lodged with Kilkenny County Council which would see the 18th century Market House Building in the centre of Graiguenamangh transformed from a shop to a café.
The developer, Sharon Boyle hopes to create a 22-seater café in the 230-year-old building which is part of the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.
There are no plans to change the historic building structurally or make changes to it externally under the new plans lodged with the council.
Market House was built by Henry Welbore Ellis-Agar, the Second Viscount Clifden of nearby Gowran between 1790 and 1810 and the building represents one of the earliest-surviving purpose-built civic institutions in the locality.
A decision on the plan is due by the end of next month.