October 27, 2020
News

St Luke’s consultant at centre of patient consent controversy put on leave

By COLIN BARTLEY

THE CONSULTANT at the centre of a controversy at St Luke’s Hospital, where procedures were carried out on five women without their consent, has been placed on administrative leave.

Professor Ray O’Sullivan, a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at St Luke’s previously said he did not feel he needed to obtain consent for “exploratory” tests he carried out on five female patients last year.

Reports in the Irish Times today say Prof O’Sullivan has been placed on administrative leave, with full pay, while disciplinary procedures are taking place.

The hospital was made aware of procedures taking place without the consent of the female patients in September 2018. Management immediately halted the procedures.

Earlier this year it emerged the consultant was reported to the Medical Council.

The Irish East Hospital Group (IEHG) commissioned a report into the incidents, and this has led to Prof O’Sullivan’s suspension. The Director General of the Health Service Executive (HSE), Paul Reid made the decision to place Prof O’ Sullivan on administrative leave, effective last Wednesday.

According to reports, Prof O’Sullivan is to fight the decision.

KilkennyNow.ie contacted the IEHG to confirm the reports and the circumstances surrounding it.

In a statement received by KilkennyNow.ie from IEHG, it said: “The Ireland East Hospital Group and HSE are precluded from discussing issues between employers and employees.   Therefore we have no comment at this time.”

KilkennyNow.ie contacted Prof O’Sullivan but has not received a response at this time.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *