‘The strategy is working’ – Taoiseach announces roadmap for easing of lockdown restrictions
Taoiseach Micheál Martin has announced the pathway to the reopening of the country in the past few minutes
Speaking from the steps of Leinster House, he confirmed pubs, restaurants, shops, hairdressers, gyms, religious events and sports will all resume over the coming six weeks.
In thanking the public for their huge effort in suppressing the spread of Covid-19 during the latest lockdown, the Taoiseach said: “I understand how difficult it has been for business and workers, and the huge desire there is for people just to make a living again”.
He then outlined the dates restrictions will be eased to allow services and leisure reopen safely.
The key dates are as follows:
- Hairdressers will reopen, along with libraries, museums and galleries.
- Sports training for teams in pods of 15.
- Up to 50 people will be allowed attend religious services including weddings, funerals and masses.
- Indoor wedding parties will remain capped at six guests and 15 for outdoor celebrations.
- Three households can meet outdoors and a vaccinated household can meet an unvaccinated one indoors.
- Intercounty travel can resume.
- All shops can reopen.
- Hotels and guesthouses can open once again.
- Restaurants and all pubs can reopen.
- Gyms and swimming pools can open their doors once again