May 19, 2019
News

Taoiseach apologises ‘unreservedly’ over comments about shocking mortuary revelations

TAOISEACH Leo Varadkar has “apologised unreservedly” to anyone who feels he did not treat shocking claims about the state of mortuary services at the regional hospital seriously.

Mr Varadkar’s climb-down came amid growing controversy over comments he made last week after four consultants at University Hospital Waterford (UHW) said dead bodies had been left decomposing on trolleys in the corridors of the mortuary.

When the Taoiseach was asked about these serious concerns during a visit to Waterford last week he said there wasn’t any evidence to back up the claims and described it as a “strange story”.

In a statement this afternoon, Mr Varadkar (below) admitted he got it wrong and that corroborating statements have since come to light to support the views expressed by the consultants.


The Taoiseach said that when he spoke in Waterford there were “conflicting accounts” and that he did not want to jump to conclusions.

He added planning permission has been granted for a new mortuary at the hospital and temporary measures are being put in place in the meantime.

Meanwhile, earlier today a protest (main picture) was held over the conditions at the mortuary at UHW.

The Still Waiting Campaign is supporting the four consultants who claim that decomposing bodies were being left on trolleys and the floor.

A small group of protesters gathered outside the hospital with placards and banners.

Demonstrators held signs calling for health reform and criticising the larger parties. One labelled Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil as “healthcare vandals”.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *