Historic Kilkenny building on old graveyard to get a new lease of life
A vacant 19th-century school, which then became a religious hall and finally a scout den in a county Kilkenny town is set to get a whole new lease of life – despite being located in a graveyard.
Kilkenny County Council has received a planning application which would see the protected structure that is the Catholic Young Men’s Society (CYMS) hall on Chapel Lane in Thomastown restored to the highest conversation standards, finding new use as a three-bed family home.
The building, located beside Thomastown’s old graveyard, was completed in 1825 and had been in use up until roughly 10 years ago. The building was first used as a school up until the 1950s when it became the CYMS hall. More recently the local scout troop used the building as a den, before leaving the building a decade ago. It has been vacant ever since.
The ambitious conservation plans would see the old building lovingly transformed into a modern, fit-for-purpose, three-bedroom family home.
A decision on the application is due by the end of October.