Re-opening of Kilkenny Castle Playground delayed yet again
By COLIN BARTLEY
THE much-anticipated re-opening of the revamped Kilkenny Castle Playground has been postponed for the second time – and this time the weather is apparently to blame.
The playground was initially supposed to re-open in time for last week’s Bank Holiday weekend, but this was put off because of unstated reasons that were “beyond the control” of the Office of Public Works (OPW).
The re-opening was put back until today, this will not now go ahead as scheduled.
Despite blaming the weather, the OPW has not been able to say when the playground will re-open.
In a statement, officials in Kilkenny Castle said they will keep the public updated on progress.
“Due to the recent inclement weather, the playground at Kilkenny Castle will not open on Friday 7th June 2019,” they said.
“The OPW is awaiting an update from our contractors and as soon as we have news we will post updates. We very much look forward to the reopening of this very popular attraction at Kilkenny Castle.”
The hugely popular facility was forced to close in early April due to what was described as “unforeseen health and safety issues”.
The upgrade of the playground will include new equipment, including a special needs roundabout with wheelchair access, as well as laying a new safer surface for children.
The playground in its current guise was originally set up on the grounds of the Castle in 2008.