September 21, 2020
News Property

€250,000 home grants give lift to older people and those with disabilities in Kilkenny

Kilkenny will receive State funding of €254,234.21 to improve housing stock for older people and people with a disability.

Details of the local funding were announced by local TD John Paul Phelan. It forms part of an €18 million nationwide package to improve housing conditions.

Deputy Phelan said: “The Disabled Persons Grant Scheme and the Improvement Works in Lieu of Local Authority Housing Scheme are administered directly by Kilkenny County Council. Exchequer funding meets 90% of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10%. In total €254,234.21granted under the two schemes for the area covered by Kilkenny County Council.

“The DPG Scheme provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock for older people and people with a disability and is designed to help make life at home a little easier.

“For example the funding can be used for items such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms and setting up a bedroom downstairs . The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding in a home.”

The Kilkenny TD (pictured below) added: “This funding is designed to improve housing conditions for those who need it most and will help people to live independently in their own homes for longer.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *