No new deaths and just four new cases, Taoiseach warns reopening of pubs could be delayed
There have been no further deaths and four additional cases from Covid-19, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.
It means the overall death toll as a result of the virus remains as 1,741 . There are now 25,531 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the country, according to the latest daily briefing from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET).
The latest cases were confirmed as the Government announced its advice against all non-essential travel will remain in place until July 20.
Speaking at a post-cabinet media briefing this afternoon, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said international travel is not advised and should be avoided.
He said a “Green list” of countries to which people can travel to and from will be published on July 20. There is no change on travel to and from Northern Ireland.
The Taoiseach had earlier indicated the planned full reopening of pubs on July 20 could be delayed amid widespread concerns about scenes in Dublin over the weekend where social distancing and, in some cases, opening hours were not being complied with.
The Taoiseach told Cork’s 96FM: “We have to put public health first. That is the overarching issue. The only way we can get the economy back is if we keep Covid-19 down. Any change to this would be a disaster for the country.
“There is an obligaion on everyone to behave.”