July 24, 2024
News

Elderly cancer patient killed in fire that broke out in hospital ward on Christmas Eve

GARDAI and health authorities are investigating the death of an elderly cancer patient who died after a fire broke out in a hospital ward on Christmas Eve.

The man, who was in his 80s, died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the fire at St Luke’s Hospital in Rathgar, Dublin.

A number of other people were hospitalised following the incident.

It is understood the fire may have been caused by a cigarette, reports today suggested.

An investigation has now been launched by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA).

In a statement, the Health Services Executive (HSE) confirmed: “Three individuals were transferred to St James’s Hospital and two individuals were transferred to St Vincent’s Hospital for treatment.

“Tragically, one patient who was transferred to St James’s Hospital for treatment has died as a result of the injuries sustained in the fire.

“The hospital would like to extend its sincere sympathies to the family. The incident will be investigated by the hospital and the relevant authorities.”

It is understood the  fire occurred at around 5.30am on Monday morning. Gardai confirmed the scene was preserved for a technical examination.

Gardai said there is no suggestion of foul play at this time.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *