SPONSORED: Lose weight and reshape your life with Slimming World Thomastown
A slimmer who transformed her life by losing two stone is using her success to shape a whole new career helping other people change their lives and achieve their weight loss dreams too.
Catherine Higginbotham joined her local Slimming World group in Thomastown in August 2017 and hasn’t missed a week since. She dropped from 12.6 ½ to 10.2 stone.
Now, she has trained as a Consultant for Slimming World. When members as the group were getting ready to welcome Catherine as their new Consultant when she took over the group last year, they didn’t expect to have to switch to virtual with over 10 members reaching Target goal weight losing over 21 stone between them.
All Photo credits to : https://www.aidonaphotography.com
Our healthy eating plan, Food Optimising, is easy to follow, generous and flexible and it makes slimming much easier than other weight loss programs our members have tried.
It is based on sound nutrition principles. It uses normal everyday healthy foods – no fads or gimmicks, just healthy eating in a way people can follow for life.
We also help members to gradually increase their physical activity levels in ways which suit their lifestyle and at their own pace, with our activity programme, Body Magic.
“When I joined I was scared at first but to be healthy and active for my son was so important has he started growing up and running about was what helped me walk through the door that night. Support is really the most important thing. I couldn’t have lost 2+ stone without the weekly help, encouragement and understanding of my own Consultant and group.
All Photo credits to : https://www.aidonaphotography.com
“As someone who has lost weight myself I know the challenges people can face, which is why, along with the group, I will be there to support every one of my members all the way to their chosen target weight. Setting targets, sharing recipes and other ideas, and working together as a group to overcome challenges and celebrate success.
“That’s why, at my Slimming World group, there’ll be tons of support, encouragement and fun. I fully understand how difficult everything is from working form home, home schooling, no childcare minding services, missing family and friends and the daily tolls and challenges to our mental health. My members have kept me focused and sane throughout the last year ”
Your Full Physical and Virtual support package consists of:
– Your friendly consultants support;
– Your very own food optimising pac;
– Weekly weigh in;
– Slimming World shop for bars and books;
– Members only Facebook group;
– Weekly image therapy;
– Midweek support;
– Your own login for lifeline online;
– Use of the app;
– Recipe search;
– Food planner;
– Body magic tracker;
– Barcode scanner;
– Slimming World Magazine;
– Slimming World Blog;
– Support, inspiration, motivation, bags of empathy and fun;
Catherine’s Slimming World group will be held at Thomastown Community Centre, Marshes Street, every Tuesday evening when guidelines allow. For now, a full virtual service is available from the safety and comfort of your home.
For more information or to join Catherine’s group either pop along on 10 March, call her on 0894137300, or reach out on Facebook @slimmingworldthomastown
Given that excess weight is associated with a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, and with lots of people coming out of lockdown feeling concerned about their weight and health, the findings of our study show that the unbeatable consultant support and your Slimming World group provide is more important now than ever. The findings underscore the importance of the support we need if we’re trying to maintain healthy behaviours to lose weight and keep it off.
Top survey stats you can share
- More than half of adults have found it difficult to manage their weight during the COVID-19 lockdown, according to the results of an online survey involving over 800 UK adults, which was presented at The European and International Congress on Obesity (ECOICO), held online this year. Similar proportions of the general population (65%; 414/637) and Slimming World members (59%; 131/222) admitted to finding managing their weight since lockdown “very” or “somewhat difficult”
- Two in five (42%) Slimming World members and one in three (34%) of the general population admitted eating more sugary foods during lockdown, while one in four (27%) members and one in five (18%) of the general population reported reaching for fatty foods. It’s worth noting though that data indicated that members had a healthier overall diet than non-members (healthy eating score 13 vs 10; with a higher value indicating better overall diet quality) – the increases look higher for our members but that’s because they’d already made changes to their diet to eat more healthily.
- The four key reasons given by both groups included difficulty getting to the shops and obtaining the usual healthy foods; boredom and being at home leading to increased snacking; higher levels of stress and anxiety leading to comfort eating; and more sedentary time and exercising less.
- However, positively, some respondents in both groups reported some benefits of lockdown including more time to plan meals, cooking from scratch, and sticking to a routine.
- Slimming World members reported continuing to lose weight during this time, with an average weight loss of 2kg (4.4 lbs) at the early stages of lockdown compared to three months earlier.
- Fewer members also said that their general health had been negatively affected compared to the general population. In addition, members said they had exercised more and reported higher overall wellbeing.
- See the full study details on Slimming World’s newsroom for more info here.
What can you say – the key messages?
- The research shows that while all of us have found lockdown hard when it comes to maintaining healthy habits, Slimming World members have fared better thanks to the changes they’ve already made to their diet and activity levels and the support they’ve received at our groups.
- Slimming World’s local weight-loss expert Catherine says that Slimming World has continued to support members throughout lockdown to successfully manage their weight. Members are supported to eat healthily, get active and change their habits in the long term, so they can manage their weight – whatever life throws at them.
- Our virtual groups have been a lifeline for members, but nothing beats the magic of a real-life Slimming World group and your group is now open/opening soon and however lockdown has affected people you’re ready with a warm welcome and absolutely no judgment to help everyone get back on track, achieve their weight-loss dreams and transform their health – be sure to let people know how to book into your group!
- Given the challenges of lockdown and links between Covid-19 and obesity, Slimming World’s life-changing and life-saving support is more important now than ever. Slimming World is a partner in Public Health England’s Better Health initiative, a campaign that provides an opportunity for the nation to reset and introduce healthy lifestyle changes.
- Slimming World’s experience and expertise means it understands both the physiology and the psychology of weight loss. And our research programme ensures that we can offer the very best service to our members. Slimming World’s methods are firmly evidence-based – which is why they work!
- As always, it could also be a great chance to share the story of a member who’s transformed their eating habits – and their weight and health – thanks to Food Optimising and the support of your group, before or during lockdown.
Consultant comment on the research
Local weight-loss expert Catherine runs a Slimming World group, supporting large number of people in Thomastown and surrounding towns and villages in county Kilkenny to manage their weight each week.
Catherine says: “Lockdown has had an effect on all of us – turning our lives upside down, disrupting our routines and making us feel more anxious than usual as we worry about our own health and the health of loved ones. It’s really no surprise it’s had an effect on our choices around food, drink and activity! I’ve lost 2st+ myself and I know I’ve had my days when it’s felt really difficult to stay motivated … and that’s completely ok, we’re all only human!
“When my members made healthy behaviour changes prior to lockdown little did they know this would give them the tools to cope during this challenging time, supporting them to continue to successfully lose or maintain weight loss.
“There’s no better place to help you get back in control than a real-life Slimming World group, where there will be absolutely no judgment about the choices you’ve made or weight you’ve gained during lockdown – just understanding, trust, friendship, community spirit and lots of fun and laughter.”