‘The end of this is within our grasp’ – Taoiseach announces reopening plan
Taoiseach Micheál Martin has announced further easing of restrictions and timeline of when hospitality, leisure and entertainment can resume.
Speaking from the steps of Leinster House, Taoiseach Martin confirmed the opening of pubs, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, and the lifting of restrictions on attending sports and music events will all come into being over the coming weeks.
A timetable for the resumption of overseas travel was also confirmed. From July 19, the European Union Digital Covid Certificate for travel will be in operation in Ireland – allowing travel within the EU, in accordance to safety protocols. A number of trials will also take place for sports and music events.
In thanking the public for their ongoing support of the vaccination rollout, the best in the European Union, the Taoiseach said: “By every measure, the Irish people trust the vaccines. In fact, our country enjoys one of the highest levels of trust in the vaccines in the world.
“You are right to have that trust and it is clear the Irish people are embracing the national vaccination programme and it is powering ahead,” Mr Martin added.
He then went on to outline the dates further easing of restrictions will take place.
The key dates are as follows:
- Hotels and guesthouses can reopen
- Outdoors services in bars and restaurants can recommence
- Cinemas, theatres and gyms can reopen
- Up to 200 people can attend outdoor events in venues with a minimum capacity of 5,000
- Drivers theory test centres can reopen
- Indoor service can resume in bars and restaurants
- Indoor activities and indoor sports will return
- Indoor events can resume with a maximum of 100 at larger venues and 50 in smaller venues
- There will be a further increase in people attending outdoor events
- 50 guest will be able to attend wedding receptions
- Further easing of restriction on people visiting private homes
- 50% capacity on public transport will be lifted
- Further easing of restrictions on indoor and outdoor events
- 100 guests will be able to attend weddings